June
22nd 2008, as we pass through the security gate of the airport (in
New York), after having to take off our shoes, jackets and belts, without
understanding a word of what those “foreigners” were saying and why they were
searching our clothes, 13 Brazilian
girls and I did not know what to expect next, while we waited for my
coordinator (international student advisor) to pick us up to go to St. John’s
University . As I cannot find her, I
decide to go get a kart to put my suitcases on, because I am not the “wait
patiently” type of girl, but the “do it yourself” one. After a couple of
minutes trying to get the kart that was “stuck”, I am surprised by a cop who
started speaking to me meaningless foreigner words that I was almost able to
translate by his gestures and face expression, it was probably something like :
“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”, or something similar. As I tried to grab my passport
from my purse to show him, my LCC (coordinator) arrives and …well, let’s just
say that I did not leave a good first impression, because you were suppose to
pay 5 dollars to use the kart.
Just
like the Europeans that came to America hundreds of years ago, my feelings when
I arrived were mixed; I was excited for the adventurous awaiting for me, a
little concerned of what to expect from such different culture, full of hope
and surprised with so many new things that did not fit my imagination.
What
do I remember that I knew about America before I came to live here? I remember
my trip to Disney World (my 14th birthday present), I remember the
afternoon movies that portrayed an old fashion America from the 70ths and 80ths,
when woman used to wear high jeans and big hair, I certainly remember my
missionary friends that did not know how to dance and unfortunately, I
remembered about the Middle East war. Four years have passed since I first came
and I learned to love this country and this people, I am never going to feel
part of it, but I can understand it better, I can help my friends and family
from different countries to have a different perspective from this place that
they would not have unless they had the opportunity to live here. I still have
much to learn and I know that some things I will never understand, although,
for you that never came to the USA and that the first thing that comes to your
mind when you think of this country is the “M” of the Mc Donald’s logo, allow
me to give you a brief review.
In
general, Americans are very patriots; they love their country, their history,
their people and their flag. You care for what you love, that is probably where
their care for their cities comes from. You probably heard something about that
they have more than 10 fast-food restaurants per square mile, what you might
not have heard is that their moms like to cook apple pie, meatloaf, double
eggs, macaroni and cheese, green beans casserole (for thanksgiving Dinner while
they watch football on tv) and that in the south, there is never too much sugar
in their tea.
You
might have heard that they are the most consumerist society in the world and I
am not here to disagree, although, you might have never heard of this brilliant
thing called coupon. They give discount for everything in every store that
helps you to believe that you need something that you did not know it existed
for 20 plus years of your life. Did you know also that 90% of their products
are made in China including many of their so loved flags, just like many other
countries all over the globe?!
Some
might know that Americans have a great life expectancy but, did you know that
they always celebrate their birthdays with cake and ice cream mixed together?
There might be the secret of their youth.
I
always heard how the United States was an individualist society but I learned
soon that you must learn here to be independent at a young age; many young
Americans are out of their houses supporting themselves at the early age of 18,
and yes, they are allowed to have a driver’s license as young as 16 years old,
although, there are few cities with the convenience of a broad public
transportation. They also are taught to serve
themselves, they fill it up their own cars with gas, contrary of many countries
where there is someone at the gas station to do that for you; they also have
the option to scan their own grocery and pay for it without having someone else
to help them.
Who
have never heard of Disney and their fantastic animation movies? Although, as
many other people, you might have never heard that Pocahontas was a real person
later known as Rebecca Rolfe. Also, there are great chances that you have
watched a television show or movie from the United States, It is no news that
their movie market is immense and the best in the world, the curiosity that I
was taught is that in this modern first
country society, for every 4 Americans, one have already been seen on
television.
If
your first language is not English, it might be very difficult to learn it, you
might study it for years and arrive in this country and do not know how to
communicate. This is because Americans are very practical and they put effort
into making things as practical as possible, and that applies to their
languages as well. The language spoken is much shortened than the written
English.
It
is true that 32% of the American territory belongs to their government,
although, if there is one thing that I “ learned with” their former President Theodore
Roosevelt is that leisure is serious
business. Here you can find beautiful parks and all kinds of festivals and
attractions, at low or no costs.
You
can be African American, Republican or Democrat, Cowboys or Giants, you can be
born in the North or in the South, in a different country or in the middle of
the ocean and still be considered an American, what makes someone an American
is when they proud themselves for being one; To learn it, you must live it.
No comments:
Post a Comment