Monday, July 23, 2012

The Word and Its Echo



                In English 241 we learned what America is through the lenses of literature. We could notice repeatedly the influence that Literature had throughout American History in imperative moments of changes.  The first writings of genuine literature defined the new society that was being formed in this land; the literature of the romantics that helped to fight slavery, the Declaration of independence that helped The United States to have freedom from its former colonists, among many more examples. American, as we know, is famous for being a country of freedom, we learned although, that this freedom did not come lightly and it is still a work in process.  
            One of the most engaging and interesting subjects we learned in this class was the impact of the Romanticism on insightful progressive movements. We learned that part of the Romantic Political plan was inclined to believe that by helping others to experience life to its best, they would learn how to feel as others do, and learn how to have more sacrificial lives by putting others before themselves. This way of thinking led them to engage in profound causes and progressive movements as women’s suffrage, the fight for Native American Rights, and the fight to end slavery. They gave the first steps towards freedom.
            We have been given a special attention to slavery; we brought up a delicate subject that still affects us, black market slavery, and the discussions about this subject gave me a bigger perspective on our contribution to this evil. I learned that our alienation to great matters of our society does not excuse us from its guilt. We learned that those involved with abolitionism and suffrage used literature as one of their most powerful weapons to defend their campaign, bringing more and more people to believe in what they believed , which was initially supported by only a few.
            The readings of  J. Hector St. John de Crevecoeur, gave me a closer perspective of the slavery issue. As in my country, Brazil, we did not have the civil war that United States had, to give freedom to the slaves, it has been hard for me to understand so many culture differences that unfolded between the white Americans and the African Americans after the war of the North against the South and all the baggage that many still carry from it.  I admit being far from understanding why in Brazil there is not so much separation and contrast as here, although, literature has helped me to better understand the tension created before the civil war period and reading detailed essays about the subject has helped me to start grasping some answers to my restless questions. It still makes me profoundly sad to remember when 4 years ago I did not feel welcomed to the first American church I visited for being the only white person in the temple, all the surprised starring eyes, not necessarily of condemnation, I believe just surprised eyes . I also remember walking in a store that according to my host mother “I was not suppose to go to” just because I am white, nothing that I had control of, or that I could had stopped from happening,  and I remember replying to her :“what does that have to do with anything, why they don’t like me just because I am white?”, three years later I  heard my husband say that his friend received a scholarship just because he was one of the few white students of his College, I cried, all those times. I could not believe how one of the most powerful, modern, revolutionary nations in the world had such contrasts, I could not understand as I could not judge for I did not know its story. In any way I mean to justify any prejudice that might still remain, it disgusts me; I just want to understand this country’s people, and its story.
            Studying the origins of America has helped me to understand America today, who they are, where they came from. We learned how Thoreau’s and Emerson’s writings, with the purpose to bridge the gap between the people of his society and nature around them, influenced the idea of having parks (something United States is really well known for, nowadays) and the beginning of the environmentalist conscious that we, still today, seek for.
            Another idea that is deeply related to America, consumerism, was foreshadowed in the writings of Jefferson and Franklin, who tried to make their contemporaries aware of how debt can be a type of slavery, truth which has helped lead this country to its current  recession. Another writer whose idea is still applicable was  Thoreau’s,  who believed that happiness was not to obtain material wealth but to live simply and enjoy nature and the world around you and the people in it, those ideas helped me to see the signs that were given by those scholars of the current individualist America.
            Lastly, we came to understand that the Declaration of Independence was strategically written to give a bad impression of the British Government of King George, by detailing his innumerous despotic and totalitarian acts , to justify their rebellion and, most importantly, their declaration of independence.
            As we can see, literature leaves us the blueprint of a society, bringing us inside of the minds of those that cannot speak for their people anymore, those that greatly impacted their generation bringing transformation. Literature gives us the opportunity to learn about ourselves, the mistakes we have passed and the solutions that have been forgotten or delayed. We are products and makers, the beginning and the end, we are reading history and making history, so we should remember that one of the most powerful weapons used by our ancestors to fight for justice was the word, ideas spelled by powerful words; I do believe though that the real power it is not in the word but in its echo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment